Thursday, June 10, 2010

Q&A: 'Wicked' actress says it's easy being green

Vicki Noon as Elphaba in "Wicked" (Photo by Joan Marcus)

Vicki Noon got her start with the hit musical "Wicked" in Chicago in 2008, as the understudy for Elphaba, the misunderstood Wicked Witch of the West. We chatted with her about her starring role as Elphaba on the national tour.

Is it easy being green? The makeup really isn’t as harsh on the skin as it may seem. It feels very light, like any other form of stage makeup I’ve worn. Sometimes I even forget that I’m green. I literally get painted, then powdered, to try to keep the green from coming off of me and onto other cast mates and props. The whole process takes about 25 minutes. I just sit back, drink my tea and have some “girl talk” with my makeup artist, Joyce.

What’s your favorite part of being Elphaba? I feel so fortunate to play a role like Elphaba. She’s strong not only in her beliefs, but in presence. And vocally, as well. Elphaba is a demanding role, and as an actress you really yearn for a character like her. Every night after I’ve taken my bow I feel like I have accomplished something great.

You began as a standby for Elphaba. How does that differ from being an understudy? An understudy is still a part of the onstage show (in other roles) every night. As standby, I wasn’t in the onstage show, except when the Elphaba called out. It was sort of like being on-call in other professions. I didn’t necessarily have to go on in the role every night, but I had to be prepared to do so if needed.

Your character gets to fly. Any fun flying stories? No funny flying stories, but I do have a lot of falling stories. I fall a lot!

Elphaba is a complex character. Are you like her? I wouldn’t say that I’m like Elphaba. I’m a much more open and friendly person than Elphaba is. I didn’t have the sort of rough childhood that she did. I have a wonderful, loving family, and I’m lovey-dovey and warm. It’s still a struggle to beat that part of me out of my portrayal of Elphaba. Elphaba is strong, stubborn and rough around the edges. I do relate to her when it comes to feeling different or being picked on. I think we’ve all been there at some point in our lives: middle school.

What do you hope audiences take away from “Wicked”? I hope audiences walk away from “Wicked” feeling better than when they sat down. That’s the goal.

By Gabe Hartwig • ©2010 St. Louis Post-Dispatch, STLtoday.com • Published 06.11.10

1 comment: